I want to play for Nigeria –Sammy Ameobi



Sammy Ameobi
Newcastle United forward Sammy Ameobi says he will like to commit his international future to Nigeria after his elder sibling, Shola, represented the country at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The international future of the player, who was born in Newcastle to Nigerian parents, had been in doubt, after ditching Nigeria for England at youth level.
Ameobi played two friendly games – against Saudi Arabia and Egypt – for the Flying Eagles in 2011, preparatory to that year’s African Youth Championship.
But he later accepted a call up to the England U-21 side, and also played two games against Iceland and Belgium.
But now, the player will be happy to wear Nigeria’s green and white colours at senior level. He was in Brazil to cheer Shola, as Nigeria reached the last 16 of the World Cup.
“It will be a great honour to play for Nigeria. I would love it. I have seen how it has been with my brother and the World Cup was a great experience, which I would love to experience and help make sure Nigeria participates in again,” Ameobi told supersport.com.
The 22-year-old said Shola has been a huge influence on his career.
“He has always been there for me. Whenever I needed advice, he would volunteer it; and also when I tried to make moves that might have derailed my career, he was quick to pull me back on track. It is great to have a proper professional as an older brother.”
The forward was loaned out to Middlesbrough in 2013 but he is hopeful of a great season ahead.
“I am no longer a kid, I am in the last year of my contract with Newcastle and I have to start it with a bang. I have had a lot of injuries which I am hoping I have gotten over now, so I need to play very well to either get a new contract with Newcastle or be able to make a good move elsewhere,” he added.

Comments