“Fame Hit Me Earlier Than Expected…” – Bovi [Interview]

bovi
Comedian Bovi recently had a chat with Punch where he spoke on issues with regards to his comedy and personal life. Read excerpts from the interview below.
On His Style Of Comedy
If I should rate it as a plant, it would be aloe vera (laughs). It is very natural and it is very potent. It can be used to sort so many things.  I try to keep it really basic; that’s my style. But you must create a balance because you can keep it real; sometimes, you have to be animated as well. 
On making money from comedy
Who told you I’m making money from this? (laughs) I just wanted to entertain people. The fact that it’s paying is an added bonus; money is never priority in anything I do. If I die today, I’m not going to take the money with me. I take my life one day at a time and I do things that make me happy. Entertainment makes me happy.

On family life
Well, when I’m not working, I’m at home. (laughs) It’s as simple as that. I keep it real and because my life is entertainment, basically, I just can’t wait to go home. This is because I know there’s more entertainment waiting for me when I’m home. There’s no point going out to have the time of my life. I feel it’s equally balanced.
On Challenges he faced as an upcoming comedian
To be honest, looking back now, I don’t see them as challenges. I was so passionate I never took no as an answer. If one door closes, it was only a matter of time before I’d knock again. I started off with my sitcom extended family. My challenge was on the flip side. Fame hit me earlier than expected. Dealing with it was huge because I couldn’t even afford three square meals and good clothes or a car at the time, either did I have the energy to fake it. The love from the streets was intense. So all I could do was watch and pray for my brand to be born. Another major challenge I faced was resisting the industry practice of being stereotyped.
I know I’m capable of many things. So I vehemently resisted being put in a box. Greedy people tried to promote me as a slap stick, rustic, village,native, bush and garage comedian. It made me livid. I saw it as an insult and a limitation. And I saw through them. This wasn’t love for me. It was love for their commercial success. I was working towards swimming in the sea and they were offering me a fish pond.
Read more of his interview here

Comments